Detecting And Removing Indoor Mould

Detecting And Removing Indoor Mould

Removing indoor mould, how to? Condensation, high humidity, water damage, poor building practices and poor ventilation in buildings could provide the perfect growing conditions for mould.  Even short-term moisture problems in your home could lead to mould growth.  This results in a high concentration of mould spores and mycotoxins in the air you breathe and can be a hazard to your health.

removing indoor mould

Signs you might have mould in your home:

A musty or mouldy smell in your home could mean you have hidden mould.  Visible mould growth in cupboards, along walls, the ceiling or in corners obviously means you have a problem.

Water leaks and damage could have mould lurking nearby.  If you see signs of water damage such as warped surfaces, stains or peeling paint you should inspect the area for mould.  If the conditions are ideal, mould can grow on walls, ceilings, windows, insulation, air ducts, basements and even on furniture or clothing.

Health concerns of indoor mould:

If you have mould you should be concerned about your indoor air quality, especially if you are sensitive to mold spores.  There are not many severe effects with short-term exposure to mould, but in the long-term you could experience coughing, itchy eyes, stuffy nose, sneezing and/or a sore throat.

Those with mould sensitivities or a weakened immune system could experience more concerning health issues such as allergic reactions, dangerous toxins and even infections.

Allergies:  This is the most common effect of mould exposure and could result in respiratory symptoms ranging from hay fever to asthma.

Toxins:  As their own natural defence system, moulds produce chemical by-products called fungal toxins or mycotoxins.  These toxins can show up in a number of symptoms including lung inflammation, flu-like symptoms, sinusitis or lung disease.

Infections:  Infections caused by mould are very rare in healthy individuals, but could pose a huge health risk to those with weakened immune systems caused by other diseases.  Infections can occur in mucus membranes, throat, lungs, skin and eyes.

Note:  Diagnosis of any health effects should be left to a medical professional.

Detecting & Removing indoor mould:

If you think you have mould in your home, contact the professionals at Elegant Kitchen and bath.  They will also inspect for and remove other hazardous materials like asbestos and lead.  In the case of mould, their specialists will inspect your home and determine the extent of your mould contamination.  First they will do a visual inspection to pinpoint the areas and extent of mould growth using moisture metres, thermal cameras and borescopes.  If deemed necessary, they might do some air sampling to determine the concentration of mould spores in the air.  Air samples are submitted to a qualified third-party laboratory for testing and analysis.

Not only will they identify the source of the mould growth… But they can also view the trail of moisture to areas that might become affected and suggest some preventative measures.

When it is time to remove the mould, Elegant Kitchen and Bath will take the following steps:

– Containment of the area to be remediated with decontamination setup.

– Setup of HEPA-filtered air moving equipment to prevent any cross contamination.

– Careful removal of mould-impacted materials.

– Final clean of the contained area.

– Environmental consultant completes a clearance air test. (This step is optional but recommended)

If you clearly have or suspect you might have mould in your home, do not put yourself at risk!  Contact Elegant Kitchen and Bath immediately and they will provide you with an assessment and plan of action to ensure your indoor air quality is safe for you and your family.  They also provide services to remove other hazardous materials such as asbestos and lead.

Get Direction