Cleaning and Caring Of Hardwood Floors
Cleaning and caring of the hardwood floors… There are many benefits of hardwood floors. Not only do they offer a beautiful and timeless style, they can increase the value of your home, are durable, easy to clean and if cared for properly, can last a lifetime.
Here are some tips for cleaning and caring for your hardwood floors.
How to Clean Your Hardwood Floors:
Regular sweeping or vacuuming with a soft-bristled broom or vacuum attachment will prevent the build up of dirt and grit that could eventually scratch the surface of your hardwood flooring. Hardwood floors can be cleaned using a lightly damp microfiber mop. A hardwood floor cleaner may be used, ensuring it does not leave a residue on the floor. If in doubt, test in a corner or closet before doing the entire floor. Do not use a wet-mop or water to clean your hardwood floors. Avoid using harsh detergents, bleach, oil soaps, ammonia-based cleaners or acidic cleaners like vinegar or household cleaners containing citrus or tung oil. You can find a wood floor cleaner at an Elegant Kitchen & Bath or at a hardware store.
If there is a spill, make sure you wipe it up immediately. Or if you use a wood cleaner, make sure you dry up excess cleaner with a clean cloth if it does not evaporate quickly. If there is a stain caused by a food spill, water or your pet, apply your wood cleaner to a soft cloth and rub the area repetitively until the stain is removed. Never use a scouring pad or any cleaning aid that might contain metal or harsh detergents. The same cleaning method applies to grease, crayon or marks left from rubber shoes. If you still can’t remove the stain, contact a professional flooring company in Edmonton.
To remove stubborn materials like candle wax or chewing gum, put some ice cubes on the area to harden the substance. Then, once it is hardened, use a credit card or something plastic to scrape it away. Be careful not to scratch the surface. Once removed, clean the area with a slightly damp cloth.
Caring For Your Hardwood Floors:
Your hardwood flooring can last a lifetime if you care for them properly. Here are some things you can do around the house to prevent damage and prolong the life of your hardwood floors:
– Keep on top of your vacuuming and sweeping.
– Use window coverings that will help block UV rays and heat from direct sunlight. If exposed to UV and heat from sunlight, your floor will start to age.
– Use doormats at entry ways to protect the floor from outside dirt and moisture. Area rugs placed in high traffic areas can help protect your floor from regular wear, but do not use rubber or plastic mats as they could discolour the wood.
– Keep your pets’ nails trimmed to prevent scratches and clean their paws when they enter the house.
– Consider using a humidifier to help reduce wood shrinkage. You should keep the relative humidity in your home between 35% and 55%.
– Do not drag heavy furniture or appliances on the hardwood floor when you are moving it. You could place towels or an old blanket beneath the piece of furniture and slide it along on that in order to prevent scratching and gauging your floor.
– Avoid wearing shoes with spikes or damaged high heels on your floor.
Refinishing Hardwood Floors
If your hardwood floors are badly scratched and stained, or are badly aged and dull-looking, you should consider refinishing them. Hardwood floor refinishing can make your floors look like new again and is much more affordable than replacing the floor. Learn how to refinish your hardwood floors.